The Chester County Hospital Polo Cup encourages its sponsors and attendees to put forth their best creative efforts in decorating their tent or area. It makes for a more fun filled afternoon!
Gates will open at 12:30 for tented sponsors to arrive early and set up their decorations before their guests arrive. We will supply tables, linens, chairs, and flowers for your sponsor tent. Complement your tent with ribbons, balloons, festive plates, and party favors; whatever you desire. As VIP guests, you can enjoy complimentary food and drink from our VIP tent, but feel free to bring some of your favorite supplements.
All other spectators are also encouraged to allow time before the match to set up their own field-side tailgate party -- gates open at 1:30. Attendees can bring their own food and drinks for a fabulous day of tailgating fun while enjoying the excitement of the fast-paced game of polo. Your tailgate party can be theme-related and elaborate with tables and chairs under your own tent or a simple picnic blanket thrown on the grass.
(Grills are prohibited on Brandywine Polo Club grounds. Kegs are also prohibited.)
Tailgaters are encouraged to decorate their tent with a theme; chose one from our list or devise your own clever way to enjoy the day. Some possible event themes include Winter Wonderland, Football Fiesta, Jungle Safari, 4th of July, Mardi Gras, Hollywood Oscars, Presidents' Day, Chinese New Year, and Beach Blanket. Or spice up your tailgate with a theme that centers on a type of food, such as Italian or Cajun. Then add to the festivities by dressing to reflect your theme, and don't forget your hat. The possibilities are endless.
A Pimm's Cup
For a festive cocktail, try this recipe...
- 1 1/2 cups Pimm's No. 1
- 1 navel orange, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 1 lemon, cut crosswise into thin slices
- 3/4 cup firmly packed mint leaves and tender stems
- 1 1/2 cups cold ginger ale or lemon lime soda
- 1 cucumber, cut lengthwise into 8 wedges
- About 3 cups ice 1 apple, quartered, cored, and cut into thin slices
- In a large pitcher, combine the Pimm's, the orange and lemon slices, and the mint. Chill for about 10 minutes. Stir in the ginger ale.
- Put two cucumber wedges, standing on end, into each of four 1-pint glasses. Fill halfway with ice. Pour in the Pimm's mixture. Push the mint down into the drinks and divide the orange, lemon, and apple slices among the drinks.
As always, Chester County Hospital and Brandywine Polo Club emphasize safe and responsible tailgating, and there is zero tolerance for underage drinking. Some additional tips:
- Provide ample food and alternative drinks for guests when serving alcoholic beverages
- Keep the area around you clean and remember to recycle
- Respect those around you, the Polo players, the horses and the property
- Be aware of the time and make sure there is a designated driver for the end of the day