(Chester County Moms)
This healthy holiday post has been provided by Chester County Hospital. The Hospital offers a variety of nutrition and weight management programs to help the community live a healthier lifestyle.
- Eat well during the day. Skipping meals during the day to save up for a party is a bad idea. You will get overly hungry and overeat. Eat a good breakfast and lunch and then go on to tip number 2!
- Eat a healthful meal before you go to the party. Eating a healthful meal (lowfat, high fiber), such as a baked potato with vegetarian chili and a salad, before going to a party is insurance that you won't end up eating too much of the wrong thing. You will be in better control when you see all those tempting appetizers and desserts!
- Limit or avoid alcohol. Alcohol is a double-edged sword if you are trying to watch your weight. It is high in calories AND it affects your judgment on choosing foods that are lower in calories. If you have more than one party to attend, this can spell disaster for a weight-loss agenda. One way to avoid drinking at a party is to be the designated driver. If you must drink, have one drink then switch to soda with lime for the rest of the evening.
- Bring a dish. Offer to bring a dish to the party. Make it a large tossed salad or a low-cal appetizer. This way you will have at least one healthful dish you can eat while you are there.
- Fill up on salad first. Fill up a large dinner plate with salad or raw veggies before you go through the rest of the buffet. This way you will fill up on fewer calories. On the next trip to the buffet, use a smaller plate and fill it with a few lean options. Enjoy a few of your favorite items but keep portions small.
- Focus on conversation. Make an effort to meet new friends and circulate with those you know instead of eyeing the food.