Our NICU is able to care for babies that require advanced interventions, such as ventilators. In fact, our unit is equipped with the same ventilator support as CHOP, offering the latest and most sophisticated technology to support the breathing needs of a newborn. We also have pediatric surgeons and other sub-specialists on-site or rapidly available.
Our unit is able to care for the smallest babies, with very few needing to be transferred out of our facility for care. Local access to such sophisticated care means families can avoid having to travel distances to visit with their baby who is receiving special care. If a baby does need to be transferred, the resources of CHOP are available to them.
Our unit offers a variety of treatment options, such as:
- Total parenteral (IV) nutrition
- Ventilator care for respiratory problems
- Surfactant therapy for infants with premature lungs
- Sophisticated incubators for maintaining an infant's body temperature
- Antibiotic therapy for suspected infections
- 24-hour monitoring
- Physical Therapy
For more information about neonatologists on the Medical Staff at Chester County Hospital, call our Physician Referral Service at 800-789-PENN (7366) or visit the Find a Doctor
section of our website.
We are particularly proud of several interventions for our neonates including:
- Kangaroo Care - Allows for beneficial skin-to-skin contact between parents and their infants.
- Physical Therapy Program - Enhances the baby's development.
- Neonatal Development Follow-Up Clinic - Located on site.
- Lactation Specialists and nursing staff - Assists breastfeeding mothers with feeding and /or pumping needs.
- Parent participation - Learning how to care for their newborn.