Pulmonary Rehabilitation is a personalized treatment plan that is designed to improve quality of life for those with chronic lung disease. The Pulmonary Rehabilitation program at Chester County Hospital helps improve the quality of life for those with limited lung function by managing shortness of breath and improving their ability to carry out everyday activities. Any person with a chronic lung disease may benefit from pulmonary rehabilitation.
Examples of common lung conditions include:
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD)
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Pulmonary Hypertension
- Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Interstitial lung disease
- Lung cancer and lung cancer surgery
- Lung volume reduction surgery before and after lung transplantation
Our specialized Pulmonary Rehabilitation team works with each patient to establish and reach goals towards a healthier future. Our program begins with an initial evaluation followed by the development of a personalized plan of care that is designed collaboratively by each patient and their pulmonary rehabilitation specialist. A series of personalized education and supervised exercise sessions help each participant work towards reaching their goals.
Education is provided on:
- Medications and self-care techniques
- Oxygen therapy
- Diet, nutrition and weight management
- Breathing strategies
- Exercise benefits and techniques
- Symptom assessment and management
Supervised exercise includes:
- An exercise plan tailored to help you meet your goals
- Exercises that help you to improve endurance and muscle strength to better perform daily activities
- Information on how to safely continue your exercise plan after completion of the program
Ongoing support and encouragement is provided through:
- Psychological/stress assessments and counseling
- A monthly Better Breathers support group
- Camaraderie with fellow patients who are going through similar experiences
- A supportive team of respiratory therapists, exercise specialists, nurses and dieticians
- Regular communication with referring physicians about progress and care plans
As an added service, onsite nutrition counseling with a registered dietitian is available to participants. Those who have diabetes or prediabetes can also schedule consultation with a certified diabetes educator from our Diabetes Self Management Program.
Although pulmonary rehabilitation cannot cure lung disease, our participants can greatly improve their quality of life by:
- Reducing and controlling breathing difficulties and other symptoms
- Grasping a greater understanding about their disease, treatment options and how to cope with chronic disease
- Learning to manage the disease while reducing the use of costly medical resources
- Maintaining healthy behaviors such as smoking cessation, healthy eating and regular exercise
Pulmonary rehabilitation is covered by most health insurances. In some cases a copay may be required. Please check with your insurance provider about coverage.
For more information on Pulmonary Rehabilitation call our Cardiovascular Nurse Navigator at 610.220.0432.
LOCATION and CONTACT INFORMATION
|Fern Hill Medical Campus
Building A, Suite 4
915 Old Fern Hill Road
West Chester, PA 19380
A facility of Chester County Hospital.