When someone is having a stroke, seconds count. Don't delay...know exactly what to do when you or someone else is having a stroke. By learning the warning signs, you just might save a life from stroke.
Use the letters in "F.A.S.T." to spot stroke signs and know when to call 9-1-1.
Does one side of the face droop or is it numb? Ask the person to smile. Is the person's smile uneven or lopsided?
Is one arm weak or numb? Ask the person to raise both arms. Does one arm drift downward?
Is speech slurred? Is the person unable to speak or hard to understand? Ask the person to repeat a simple sentence.
Time to Call 9-1-1
If the person shows any of these symptoms, even if the symptoms go away, call 9-1-1 and get them to the hospital immediately.
Additional Symptoms of Stroke
If someone shows any of these symptoms, call 9-1-1 or emergency medical services immediately!
- Sudden Numbness or Weakness of face, arm, or leg - Especially on one side of the body
- Sudden Confusion - Trouble speaking or understanding speech
- Sudden Trouble Seeing - In one or both eyes
- Sudden Trouble Walking - Dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Sudden Severe Headache - With no known cause