Nancy Virginia Moore, a lifelong Chester County resident, was born in Paoli, PA in 1931. She was the youngest of six children. The family moved to Marshallton, PA and Nancy graduated from Radnor High School in the class of 1949. She traveled the world in her younger years, visiting many different countries.
Throughout her life, Nancy spent significant time in Maine, where her paternal side of the family has significant roots, particularly the area near Steuben, Maine. Back "at home" in Chester County, PA, she worked at the Brandywine Book Store (which was owned by her brother, H. Dyer Moore III for 12 years) until 1969. In addition, Nancy volunteered at The Women's Exchange
on Church Street in West Chester for many years. The Exchange
"shop" is a charitable organization with the mission to raise funds for local good works.
Nancy's involvement with Chester County Hospital was inspired by her mother, Lois Wright Moore. Lois had been a member of the Marshallton Branch of the Women's Auxiliary. Nancy followed in her footsteps and joined the branch as well. She went on to also become a founding member of the West Chester Evening Branch of the Women's Auxiliary and actively served as a member of that branch for 54 years. Her mother served as president of the Women's Auxiliary from 1961 to 1963, as did Nancy from 1971 to 1973.
Nancy was devoted to Chester County Hospital. She was a member of The 1892 Society, a regular annual donor and often made significant capital gifts to hospital campaigns.
She supported the Emergency Department Campaign, helped fund the da Vinci Surgical System, and gave to the Lasko Tower Campaign. Her generous contributions have helped impact over 3,000 surgical patients whose procedures were conducted via the da Vinci robotic surgery program since its inception and countless others who have benefited from the excellent care in the hospital's expanded Emergency Department and our modern accommodations in the Lasko Tower. Perhaps her greatest impact on the community, however, is the extraordinary bequest Nancy left to the hospital in her will.
Upon her death in September 2016, Nancy generously left the bulk of her estate to the hospital with an estimated value of $3.5 million. Her impactful gift was instrumental in the funding of our current expansion and renovation of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Once complete in Fall 2018, the re-designed facility will have increased space and state-of-the art equipment and amenities to serve the growing needs of our youngest patients and their families.
We are grateful to the Moore family, for modeling philanthropy and community service, and the particular impression they made on Nancy. Nancy's legacy will live on in the good works of The Women's Auxiliary to Chester County Hospital and in the generations of Chester County community members who will benefit from Chester County Hospital's dynamic facilities, and excellent patient-centered care.