Colon and Rectal Surgery involves the intestinal tract, rectum, anus and peri-anal areas. The colon is the last portion of the digestive system; it extracts water and salt from solid wastes before they are eliminated from the body through the rectum.
The following are the most common diseases or disorders of the colon:
- Angiodysplasia of the colon
- Chronic functional abdominal pain
- Colon cancer
- Crohn's disease
- Hirschsprung's disease (aganglionosis)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Paralytic (dynamic) ileus
- Polyposis (Colorectal polyp)
- Pseudomembranous colitis
- Ulcerative colitis and toxic megacolon
Colon and Rectal Surgery and Chester County Hospital
For more information about colorectal surgeons on the Medical Staff at Chester County Hospital, call our Physician Referral Service at 800-789-PENN (7366) or visit the Find a Doctor section of our website.
Chester County Hospital also has the resources of the Colon and Rectal Surgery professionals from Penn Medicine. Learn More!