Chester County Hospital offers two Volunteen Programs -- ideal for the high school student who wishes to learn more about careers in healthcare or who simply wish for an enriching opportunity to give back through volunteering in their community. Volunteen Programs are open for students ages 14-18 years of age and older.
Weekend Volunteen Program – Year-Round
For students, ages 14-18. Students are assigned to either Saturday or Sunday morning from 8:30am-noon. Student volunteers work with Volunteen Coordinators to perform a variety of tasks throughout the hospital, including: compiling charts and kits, assembling patient handbooks, running errands, and providing basic support on nursing floors.
Summer Volunteen Program – 8 Weeks, June-August
This program is ideal for students, ages 16-18. Participants are assigned to one, 3-hour morning/afternoon shift per week. Students shadow and work with seasoned volunteers in running hospital wide errands, assist with discharging patients and provide basic support for nursing floors.
Applications for the Volunteen Programs can be submitted on a rolling basis and are reviewed in February, interviews for new students are held in April. Orientation for new class held in May.
*PLEASE NOTE: The Volunteen Program is currently FULL.
Seasonal Applications for College Students:
Applications from college students age 18 years and older who wish to volunteer over the Summer months must be received by April 30th, to be considered for placement in June. Additionally, University Student volunteers who wish to volunteer over winter break and have volunteered with us previously will be considered for short term assignment by contacting the volunteer office.
College student volunteers are expected to complete 60 hours of service through weekly 3-hour shifts. We will discuss your interests and needs during the interview process. Placements are based on organizational need and the qualifications, skills, and background of each individual volunteer. University volunteers are assigned to both clinical and non-clinical areas.
The Volunteer Services Department does not assist with arranging Shadowing, Internships or Clinical-type opportunities.
What is the Process for Volunteering?
Applicants must be between the ages of 14-18 years or older and able to participate in our Volunteen program. Please keep in mind there is a large volume of applicants. Carefully review the following steps before applying:
- Step 1: Complete an online Volunteen Application form.
- Step 2: Download two copies of the reference form below. Identify two professional references, who will submit a reference on your behalf. We prefer references from an employer or place where you have previously volunteered. References affiliated with a schools or university also preferred.
- Step 3: Applications for the Volunteen Program can be submitted on a rolling basis and are reviewed in February, interviews for new students are held in April. Orientation for new class held in May.
- Step 4: If you are selected for a position, you will be asked to obtain medical clearance through our Occupational Health Department — this involves a tuberculosis. screening. You will also be asked to provide documentation of having received the flu vaccination during flu season. A COVID-19 vaccination record that shows fully vaccinated status must also be submitted.
- Step 5: The Volunteen Program is highly competitive. Volunteer Services maintains a waitlist of students and will contact you with participation status.
If you are interested in volunteering and believe you can complete all the steps outlined above, we invite you to apply below!