Here is an overview of some of the equipment that can be found in the Critical Care Unit (CCU):
- Chest Tube - A tube inserted into the chest to remove air of fluid.
- Foley Catheter - The urine drainage catheter.
- Gastric Tube - Used to suction gastric secretions or as a feeding tube.
- Endotracheal Tube - A breathing tube inserted through the nose or mouth that is connected to the ventilator.
- Monitor - The box that records and displays the vital signs.
- PICC Line/CVP Line - A form of IV access that can be used for a prolonged period of time.
- Pulse Oximeter - A probe attached to the finger to help monitor the oxygen in the blood.
- Ventilator/Respirator - A machine that is used to deliver oxygen to a patient's lungs and assist in the breathing process.